
Newly declassified FBI memos show the bureau opened a full counterintelligence investigation into Rep. Eric Swalwell’s ties to a suspected Chinese spy back in 2014, years before the public ever learned her name.
Story Snapshot
- FBI records show a probe code-named “Freshman Fifteen” launched March 17, 2014, targeting Swalwell’s ties to Christine “Fang Fang” Fang.
- The bureau reportedly tried to recruit Fang as an informant before treating her as a suspected Chinese intelligence operative.
- FBI Director Kash Patel has ordered agents to prepare the old files for release, prompting Swalwell to send a cease-and-desist letter.
- The House Ethics Committee closed its own probe in 2023 without finding any wrongdoing by Swalwell.
- The fight lands as Swalwell runs for California governor and faces new questions about $305,000 in campaign “legal services” spending.
Decade-Old Counterintelligence Probe Resurfaces
The FBI opened its investigation into Swalwell and Fang on March 17, 2014, under the code name “Freshman Fifteen.” A declassified “Interim Authority” memo says the case went through review at FBI headquarters and the Justice Department’s Public Integrity Section. Fang had helped raise money for Swalwell’s 2014 re-election campaign and placed an intern in his office before the bureau flagged her as a suspected foreign operative.
Fang left the United States in 2015, shortly after the FBI gave Swalwell what officials called a “defensive briefing” warning him about her suspected ties to Chinese intelligence. A government official familiar with the case told reporters Swalwell was “compromised” on three fronts: a personal relationship, suspected straw donations funneled into his campaign, and access she gained through his office.
What the Declassified Memos Show
The files also reveal the FBI first tried to recruit Fang herself as a source who could expose Chinese influence operations aimed at American officials, before shifting to treat her as a suspect. FBI Director Kash Patel has now directed agents in the bureau’s San Francisco field office to prepare the decade-old records for public release, according to multiple reports.
That move triggered an immediate reaction from Swalwell’s legal team. Attorneys Norm Eisen and Sean Hecker sent the FBI a cease-and-desist letter, arguing Swalwell “has never been accused of wrongdoing” and calling the push to release the file “a transparent attempt to smear him” ahead of his campaign for governor.
Swalwell’s Defense and the Ethics Committee’s Closure
Swalwell has stuck to one consistent story for years: he cooperated fully once the FBI warned him, and he cut off contact with Fang right away. “This case is closed. The FBI said all we did was help,” he told reporters recently. The House Ethics Committee backs part of that account. It closed its two-year inquiry into the matter in 2023, taking no further action against him.
That closure did not clear the air for critics. Republican Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner had filed a formal complaint asking the Ethics Committee to open an investigation into whether Swalwell had been compromised, arguing the bureau’s evidence deserved a full public airing rather than a quiet no-action letter.
FBI had evidence that Swalwell got illegal donations from a suspected Chinese spy, bombshell memos show
The newly declassified investigation files also show that the FBI had initially tried to recruit the infamous Fang Fang as a source who could share information on Chinese… pic.twitter.com/I3cJlsLD3P
— Tony Seruga (@TonySeruga) August 17, 2026
Political Stakes as Swalwell Runs for Governor
The timing raises the stakes well beyond an old counterintelligence file. Swalwell is now a leading candidate for California governor, and separate reporting shows his campaign committee paid $305,000 between 2016 and 2023 for unspecified “legal services” to a firm known for white-collar defense rather than election law. Individual payments ranged from $250 to more than $36,000, records show.
This case fits a bigger, well-documented pattern. Congressional researchers and intelligence officials have long warned that foreign influence operations, including from China, often work through donations, personal relationships, and access to sitting lawmakers rather than dramatic espionage. Voters on the left and right share a common worry here: whether elected officials face real accountability when national security concerns brush up against their own political survival.
Sources:
twitchy.com, justthenews.com, nysun.com, nypost.com, axios.com, washingtonpost.com, foxnews.com, x.com, reddit.com