Andrew Jury, Who Appeared on Reality Show, Dies Ahead of Court Appearance

Andrew Jury, Who Appeared on Reality Show, Dies Ahead of Court Appearance

( – “Married at First Sight” is a reality TV show in which participants legally marry a stranger the very first time they meet. It began in the United States but expanded to include a series in New Zealand. One of the show’s participants was recently in jail awaiting trial for a crime, but authorities found him dead mere hours ahead of a court appearance.

In 2017, Andrew Jury, then 26, appeared in the premier New Zealand series of “Married at First Sight.” The show paired him up with Vicky Gleeson-Stokes, but the two couldn’t make their relationship work and split up before the season’s finale. Authorities arrested Jury in early April and charged him with several offenses, including assault with intent to injure, unlawfully entering a building, possession of an offensive weapon, willful damage, and threatening behavior. A judge remanded him to the custody of the Mt. Eden Corrections Facility in Auckland.

On the morning of Thursday, June 27, officials found Jury dead. They tried to employ life-saving measures but were unsuccessful. His father, Roy Jury, confirmed his son’s death to The New Zealand Herald. He said he and his family were “bewildered and deeply saddened” by Andrew’s passing. Roy also noted that he had worried about his son’s mental health in the days leading up to his arrest. He told reporters that Andrew had spoken to him and said he wasn’t faring well behind bars.

According to officials, “there is no indication that his death is suspicious,” but they have not released the cause or circumstances surrounding it.

The show’s first-season cast, who appeared with Jury, released a collective statement saying that the experience had bonded all of them. They described the former reality star as “always friendly and the life of the party.” They sent their “deepest condolences and love to his family.”

Copyright 2024,